Sunday, January 8, 2012

Chocolate droppings

I would like to challenge a blog post I read from an Alaskan resident.  She states, "Only in Alaska do you look in your rear view mirror of your car to see if there's a moose in your driveway before you back out of your garage in the morning."

I completely disagree because Wednesday morning it happened in eastern Washington to me of all people.  As I pushed my garage door opener the door raised slowly and there it was.  A calf moose sleeping in my driveway.  It was larger than my new car.  I've heard some real horror stories of how mean they are and situations where they've charged cars but what was I supposed to do?  I was in my garage.  I was in my car.  I was attempting to make my way to work. 

And then I noticed two more moose.  Yes.  It was mama moose and her sister or maybe it was her oldest but I was witnessing mom eating breakfast on my bushes and auntie doing her business on my front lawn and baby calf taking a little snooze.

I looked down at my phone - not to take a picture mind you. I was enamored by their size and beauty, I forgot entirely to click the camera.  I did however text my colleagues at work.  "I will be a bit late for work.  There is a family of moose impeding my progress this morning."  I loved one of my return responses from a coworker.  "Don't just sit there...shoot them."  Oh yeah right.  Me, shoot them.  Am I to use my BB gun that I purchased last year for my woodpecker problem?  That worked so well for me last year.  

I didn't shut the garage door as I didn't want to asphyxiate myself nor did I want to honk as to cause a ruckus so I waited for about 25 minutes until they sauntered off on up the hill.  

Then I thought, "no one is going to believe this...I didn't get photos."

So, the next morning I was ready.  I had my camera and I slowly opened the garage door but no luck.  No moose this morning.  As I turned to go back into the house I looked over at my neighbor's backyard and there they were.  Clearly they didn't want to make me late to work again but they did leave traces for me in my yard...little 'chocolate' presents that will be gone come spring time.  


Pictured:  Proof of my tardiness to work.  Dear moose:  I will share my space with you anytime and thank you for sharing your space with me.  It was surreal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment